If you are wondering about “can dogs eat alfalfa sprouts?” then you are in the right place! We have researched and found answers to all your questions and put them in one place.
In short—YES! You can feed your dog alfalfa sprouts. They are not just safe, but there are also multiple health benefits of alfalfa to your dog. Be it as training rewards or part of meals, learn how to feed your dog these amazing sprouts safely.
Are Alfalfa Sprouts Good For Dogs?
Knowing the nutritional value of human food or any food before you feed it to your dog is essential. In the case of this article, there are some health benefits of feeding your dog alfalfa sprouts, such as:
- It contains vitamins and minerals that are essential for your dog’s overall health, like:
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin B6
- The antioxidants in alfalfa sprouts will help improve your dog’s immune system and response so they can overcome and fight against harmful infections.
- Although there is not much proof for it, if you serve alfalfa sprouts to your dog, it may show cholesterol-lowering properties (study).
- Last but not least, the alfalfa sprouts are an excellent source of plant-based protein. They can be a great addition to your dog’s diet, especially when there is a lack of protein on the plate.
How Do You Safely Feed Your Dog Alfalfa Sprouts?
Here are some things you should keep in mind when feeding your dog alfalfa sprouts:
- It would be best to feed your dog only plain alfalfa sprouts. Adding mixed seasonings can cause allergic reactions; if it includes garlic or onions, it can even be fatal to dogs.
- The best way to serve sprouts to your doggo is to mix them with their kibbles or make a nice salad. You can add multiple fruits and vegetables like apples, mashed potatoes, avocado paste, pomegranate, lettuce, etc.
- It would be best to avoid adding salt to it for taste, as some dogs may not tolerate even small amounts of sodium in their diet. This can lead to sodium toxicity in dogs if not monitored well.
Our final thoughts on “can dogs eat alfalfa sprouts?” are yes! You can feed your dog alfalfa sprouts in moderation! These sprouts are safe for dogs as they do not have any toxic compounds that can cause health hazards to your dog. However, instead of only feeding your doggo these sprouts, you can mix them up in their meals to make it a balanced diet for them.
Lastly, next time you cook yourself some alfalfa sprouts, don’t forget to share them with your pooch and family. Also, for your dog, you better keep them unseasoned and plain.
Frequently Asked Questions
You only need to add a minimal amount of alfalfa sprouts to your dog’s meal. It is essential to know that your dog’s diet should be colorful and balanced. The alfalfa sprouts might be nutritious, but they lack a lot as well. Hence, if you have a medium dog, you should only give them a tablespoon of it once daily.
There is not enough evidence to state that alfalfa can be toxic to dogs in high amounts. However, whenever feeding your dog any food, you should maintain moderation. Giving too much of alfalfa sprouts to your dog can cause choking hazards or allergic reactions.
Yes, raw alfalfa is generally safe for dogs in small amounts. However, boiling or cooking them beforehand is recommended to get rid of any bacteria. Also, if you want to serve your dog raw alfalfa sprouts, make sure that you buy high-quality sprouts only.
Absolutely, yes! You can feed your dog clover and alfalfa sprouts, but moderation is the key. The two are rich in plant-based protein and have several health benefits. However, you should look out for allergies or bacterial contamination in dogs if they consume raw sprouts.