Does your dog make puppy eyes every time you sit for dinner? Some dogs do enjoy the occasional fruits and vegetables as a treat. But about vegetables like asparagus? Can dogs eat asparagus?

Yes! Dogs can enjoy the occasional non-toxic asparagus. It is safe to say not all human foods are suitable for dogs.

But be careful! There are lots of pros and cons to feeding your dog asparagus. Read this article to know if your pooch can safely consume this treat.

Can Dogs Eat Asparagus?

Yes! Asparagus is full of nutrients. It makes for a healthy and tasty treat for humans. It is NOT toxic for dogs, either. 

Asparagus is a great way to incorporate additional nutrients into your dog’s diet. Some canines also love the texture of this. It can be a great bonding experience with your pup. Slip them the occasional asparagus this spring season. 

Trust me, your food-curious pup and his taste buds will thank you. 

But with dogs, you need to be careful. Moderation is the key to feeding dogs and human foods. Like all human foods, you must remember some things before feeding your dog this delicious vegetable. 

Risks of Feeding Your Dog Asparagus

Asparagus is packed with several vitamins and minerals. It also has a high fiber content. All this makes it a great addition to your plate. But it is different in the case of dogs. Here are some risks associated with feeding asparagus to your pup: 

1. Choking hazard

Dogs can be gobble monsters who don’t care to chew their food. Asparagus can be a choking hazard for dogs, especially of smaller breeds. 

Asparagus is challenging to chew, even for humans. That is why we typically cook asparagus. Your dogs might have difficulty chewing the stems of asparagus. Raw asparagus is even tougher than cooked ones. Always chop up asparagus in small pieces before feeding them to your dog. 

2. Stomach troubles

Asparagus has a high fiber content. An excessive amount of it can cause gastrointestinal issues in your pooch. If you feed your dog raw asparagus, he might experience vomiting, gas, stomach bloating, or diarrhea.

Cooked asparagus is easier for dogs to digest. But even that has its own set of problems. Too much cooking oil while preparing your dog’s asparagus can cause an upset stomach. Also, oil or butter is not safe for dogs to consume. 

REMEMBER, feed your dog asparagus in small amounts. Introducing huge portions of new food items to your dog’s diet can lead to stomach troubles. 

3. Asparagus fern

Asparagus fern is NOT edible. It is also toxic for both humans and dogs (article). A naturally occurring sapogenin steroid makes it unsuitable for pets (article). 

If you’re growing this useful vegetable in your garden, KEEP YOUR PETS AWAY! Try separating or fencing that section off to ensure your dog doesn’t get to them. Symptoms of your dog ingesting this dangerous toxin are vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. Some dogs can also experience skin inflammation. 

a dog looks at asparagus laid out in front of him on a table

Health Benefits of Asparagus

Your dog can benefit a lot from occasionally munching on a vitamin-packed asparagus. If your dog considers green veggies a treat, you are blessed!

It is low in calories and sugar. You won’t need to worry about common diseases such as obesity and diabetes and associated risks with feeding your dog other treats.  

Asparagus is also a powerhouse of various nutrients (study), like zinc, iron, and antioxidants that help reduce inflammation and strengthen your puppy’s immune system. It is also high in calcium, which ensures strong bones and teeth for your elderly pup.

How to Safely Feed Your Dog Asparagus

If you decide to feed your dog asparagus, you must make it dog friendly. Follow these simple steps to prepare your pup’s asparagus.

1. Cook it

Have you ever eaten raw asparagus? No? Exactly.

Raw asparagus can be difficult for dogs to digest and is also a choking hazard. It would be best to cook asparagus properly so they are soft before feeding them to your dog. The only downside is the nutrients are diluted when you cook asparagus. 

2. Do not use oil or additives

Our first instinct is to grease the pan with oil or butter while cooking. While they add a flavorful taste to our food, they are unsafe for dogs. 

It is the same with seasonings. Topping asparagus with garlic and other herbs can be harmful to dogs. Their digestive system can not digest everything, and they might have stomach troubles. 

3. Chop it up

Even after cooking, asparagus does not turn into a soft mush. They are hard vegetables that need to be chewed. 

Dogs typically tend to swallow their treats as a whole. This makes those long stems of asparagus an obstruction hazard. Chop it up into small bite-sized pieces of a few inches to ensure your dog does not choke on them. 

You can blend the asparagus in a smoothie or serve it as a soup. Or serve them as toppings to your dog’s kibble bowl for extra nutrients. Dehydrated veggies also make for an incredible treat for your pup. There are various simple asparagus recipes that you can prepare for your dogs. 

How Much Asparagus Can My Dog Have?

Pet parents are advised to follow the golden rule of 10%. 

Vets suggest that a healthy diet should comprise at most 10% of treats. The other 90% of a dog’s diet needs to be well-balanced. Treats, including veggies, should be fed to dogs in moderation to prevent stomach problems in the future. 

You need to ensure your dog’s gut can digest asparagus properly before introducing it as a regular part of his diet. 


Asparagus makes for a healthy and quick bite for humans. But the pros outweigh the cons when considered as a dog treat. 

Even though asparagus is not toxic for dogs does not mean they should be overindulging in them. Asparagus with rough stems and stalks make for a textural treat for dogs but do not feed them raw to your pup. Cooking those tough vegetables leaves little nutritional value. There are many healthier alternatives for dogs available. 

Now you know dogs can eat asparagus. However, there are better options for them. If your dog insists on one, remember to feed them chopped and cooked asparagus to mitigate unnecessary risks. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Why can’t dogs eat asparagus?

Even though asparagus is not toxic for dogs it can cause a wide variety of stomach issues. Your pup might face vomiting, gas, diarrhea and stomach bloating. The hard stem of asparagus is also a choking hazard for dogs.

How much asparagus can my dog eat?

Vets advise dog owners to follow the 10% rule while feeding treats to pups. Remember this while treating your dog to the occasional asparagus. A healthy and well-balanced diet should not comprise more than 10% of treats. The other 90% should be made of other essential nutrients. 

What part of asparagus is toxic to dogs?

Asparagus fern is toxic to dogs and humans. If you grow asparagus in your garden, remove it from your canine friend. Please do not feed your dogs asparagus fern, as they might experience vomiting and diarrhea. It is an indelible part of asparagus. It contains sapogenin—a steroid found in a variety of plants.

Will asparagus help my dog poop?

Asparagus is high in dietary fiber. It makes dogs regular in the bathroom. So, YES asparagus will help your dog poop. But feed your dog asparagus in moderation. An excess intake of asparagus can also cause gastrointestinal issues in your dog.

Can a dog eat cooked asparagus?

Do not feed your dog raw asparagus. It is a hard veggie and can be a choking hazard for dogs especially of smaller breeds. Always cook it before feeding your dog. Do not use oil or butter to cook it and refrain from any additives as it can be toxic for dogs. The only downside is that cooked asparagus barely has any nutritional value. 

Share the Post: