Limes are pretty popular among humans and are a part of our everyday meals. But when it comes to sharing food with our furry friends, it’s good to step back and ask yourself (or the internet)—”can dogs eat lime?”

Because the answer might shock you! In short, you should not feed your dog limes, and there are several reasons for the same. In this article, we will discuss them all and tell you what you can do in case your dog ate some. 

Are Limes Bad For Dogs?

Even though this human food, lime, is packed with essential oils and components that are fantastic for dogs, it isn’t ideal for dogs. Let’s look at the reasons why:

1. Toxic compounds

One of the major reasons why lime is not safe for dogs is because it contains certain toxic compounds. The psoralens and limonene can be especially toxic to dogs if consumed in large quantities (1,2).

2. Gastrointestinal problem

Another reason why we don’t recommend feeding your dog lime is because it can cause gastrointestinal problems. Lime does not hold so much nutritional value that you can experiment with or compromise your dog’s health for it. So, instead, you can feed them food that is good for their health and gut. 

3. Not so palatable for dogs

Last but not least, most dogs are not a massive fan of citrus fruits, and especially lime citrus. So even if your dog licks a lime, they’ll probably give you the most funny expression of “What the hell did I just lick?” and never back near lime again. 

a dog curiously looking at a basket of limes

Symptoms of Lime Poisoning in Dogs?

If your dog ate lime from the basket behind your back, don’t worry; they will eventually show signs and symptoms that you can act upon. As lime is not entirely toxic and deadly to dogs, you can expect slight or severe allergic reactions that may show as:

  1. Upset stomach
  2. Skin irritation, rashes
  3. Photosensitivity (sensitivity to sunlight)
  4. Oral irritation, ulcers
  5. Dehydration 


Our final thoughts on “can dogs eat lime?” is a HUGE NO! You should never feed your dog lime or any product that is made out of lime. The very simple reason is that it has certain toxins which can be harmful in large amounts. And even if only a small amount is ingested, the nutritional value is negligible. Hence, if your dog ate lime, please immediately contact your veterinarian and keep your dog under strict observation.

Frequently Asked Questions

Can dogs have key lime yogurt?

No. You should not feed your dog key lime yogurt. Especially if your dog is lactose intolerant, you should not put yogurt in their meals. Also, lime is not a good choice as it can be toxic. So you can add other fruits like strawberries, applesauce, blueberries, bananas, etc.

Can dogs have lime chips?

You should never feed your dog lime chips as they are not safe for dogs. Even though the lime flavoring might not be in enough quantities to be toxic, chips are fried and can trigger pancreatitis in dogs (study).

Can dogs have lime popsicles?

No. Dogs cannot eat lime popsicles, even as a small treat, as they are bad for dogs. For frozen treats, you should use safe and healthy human fruits that are not so citrusy and toxic.

Can dogs have lime juice?

Dogs cannot have lime juice, and the reason is not only lime but also sugar or artificial sweeteners like xylitol, which can be toxic to dogs. Hence, please do not feed your dog fruit juices.

Share the Post: