If you are wondering about “Can dogs eat raisins?” you are asking the right questions! Raisins are SUPER toxic to dogs!

Raisins are NOT safe for dogs! Feeding your dog raisins can lead to multiple health risks that can be very painful for you and your pooch. In this article, you will find the risks associated with and the symptoms of raisin poisoning in dogs. 

Why Are Raisins Toxic to Dogs?

You should NEVER feed your dog raisins! Be it in small amounts or mixed in their kibbles! Giving your dog raisins is like inviting a nightmare. The actual reasons why raisins are toxic to dogs, or what compound in them makes raisins so toxic- is still a mystery! But we do know that these little dried grapes can cause life-threatening situations for your dog. 

There is ample evidence that grapes, sultanas, and raisins can cause acute kidney injury. This means the kidneys stop working and reach a stage where a dog can go into a coma. “Why that happens?” “What causes it?”- These are some of the questions that still remain unanswered. 

However, the tannins and flavonoids are found in high amounts in human foods like grapes (1), tea, coffee, and acorns. This MIGHT BE a reason for this toxic relationship between raisins and dogs. This cannot be confirmed due to lack of evidence but is said to be one of the theories. Moreover, tartaric acid is also believed to be one of the reasons for kidney failure in dogs (2).

Signs of Raisin and Grape Poisoning in Dogs?

One of the common health problems dogs can face after eating raisins is acute kidney injury. This can make your dog very sick, so you should monitor them for signs of poisoning (source). While your veterinarian is on their way, please check for these symptoms:

  1. Lethargy 
  2. Sudden loss in appetite 
  3. Vomiting or diarrhea
  4. Increased thirst and urination
  5. Dehydration
  6. Weight loss
  7. Pale gums
  8. Bad breath
  9. Ulcers in the mouth
  10. Swollen or painful abdomen

But hey! Do not wait for these symptoms to hit in! If you saw your dog sneaking in or eating raisins, please take action right away. With timely medications and professional procedures, your dog can get healthy again. 

Other toxic human foods for dogs:

  1. Chocolate
  2. Garlic
  3. Onion
  4. Grapes
  5. Xylitol
  6. Alcoholic drinks

a puppy sitting on top of raisins

Alternatives of Raisins For Dogs

Now that you know you cannot and should not feed your dog raisins, grapes, currants, or sultanas, what should you do? Well- thankfully, our doggos are always ready to steal any human snack they find. Here are the safe and yummy alternatives of raisins for you and your dog:

Note: Please check with your veterinarian before introducing any new foods to your dog! 

Conclusion

Our final thoughts on “can dogs eat raisins?” is a BIG NO! Raisins have a mystery compound that causes kidney injury or even death in dogs. Please keep raisin containers out of your furry friend’s reach. Even feeding your dog small amounts of raisins or grapes can lead to serious health hazards. This is why it is super important that you fulfill your dog’s all nutritional needs, so they are super immune during tough times!

Frequently Asked Questions

What happens if a dog eats one raisin?

Even giving your dog one raisin can cause harm. Although one raisin is unlikely to cause kidney injury, it can make small-sized dogs sick. It depends greatly on the individual’s tolerance and other dietary fulfillment factors. Rest, please keep monitoring your dog for any symptoms.

Can dogs eat raisin bread?

You should not feed your dog raisin bread, as it is neither safe nor healthy. Breads, anyway, are not that nutritious for dogs, and as raisins are in high quantities, they can cause health hazards to your dog.

How long does it take for a dog to show signs of poisoning?

It depends on many factors like age, tolerance, size, metabolism, specific toxins, and the amount ingested. The symptoms can appear as early as within 5 minutes or may even take 9- 10 hours. You should not wait for the symptoms to occur, and call your veterinarian if your dog ate grapes or raisins (study).

Can dogs survive raisin poisoning?

Fortunately, yes! Dogs can survive raisin poisoning if they eat just one or two raisins. Also, you must provide immediate veterinary care to avoid the symptoms kicking in and making your dog sick. Although large amounts of raisins may or may not be curable, you should always seek veterinary attention. (source)

Can dogs eat raisins or sultanas?

No. Both the raisins and sultanas are terrible for dogs! You should not feed your dog any amounts of these, as they come in the same category as grapes. The two can not only make your dog sick but lead to kidney failure and life-threatening situations.

Share the Post: